Monday, April 11, 2016

God is Faithful


"God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful"
- 1 Corinthians 1:8

Five months ago, I had a job. It was a wonderful job, perhaps even a perfect one. I had many close friends among my coworkers, I loved each part of my job, and I felt like I was making an impact. I was moving up in leadership and was being given more supervision over my coworkers. Everything was going quite smoothly.

But then, everything changed overnight. The corporate management of the organization made a policy change that directly conflicted with my beliefs. I tried to think of any possible way that I could stay at my job, but the more I thought about it, the more I knew I couldn't stay.

In my last week at work, I did my best to say goodbye to all the things and people I loved best. The problem with this policy is that it affected all people who entered the organization and not only the employees. So when I left this organization, I was leaving for good, knowing I couldn't go back in the foreseeable future. My family had frequented this place since I was a child, so I tried to soak in every last bit of it. In all this, God was faithful, giving me opportunities to relive some of my childhood memories that week before I left.

The night before I left my job, I read through my Bible, finding verse after verse about courage, truth and standing strong in the Lord. I knew God was calling me to leave my job, but I was terrified. I was afraid of what people would say of me, and of what my supervisors would think. I was scared about the future — how would I pay for school? Where would I get a new job? More than anything, I was broken-hearted about the prospect of leaving all the relationships I had at that job. But, God was faithful, and he gave me more than enough Scripture to give me confidence in my decision.


After leaving, I struggled with direction. I am the girl who always has a plan, so not knowing where my next paycheck would come from was disheartening for me. I put out many applications, but didn't get called for interviews. A month passed, and then another month, and I began to get frustrated with all the waiting. I knew God would provide for me, but when, how? 

In the middle of February I contacted a friend who owned a coffee shop, and she got me an interview. 
I walked into the interview convinced that this must be God's plan for me. It wasn't exactly the job I was looking for, but I convinced myself that it would work. 

Sometimes God says no to a good thing in order to give something far better. 

At this same time I was taking a class for my program where I had to complete 40 hours of volunteer work, half in the Deaf community and half in the hearing community. I didn't really want to take this class, and I looked at it as something I needed to "get through." I had contacted multiple organizations in the Deaf community, but just like my job hunt, doors were closing one after the other. Finally, though, I found a Deaf and Hard of Hearing (DHH) program at a local elementary school and got signed up to volunteer there. Two days after my interview with the coffee shop, I started volunteering at the elementary school, helping with the 4th and 5th grade students and in the DHH preschool class. 

I loved the volunteer work, and I fell in love with the kids. I started to look forward to the days when I would get to volunteer at the school, and I started to get to know the teachers as well. One week after I started volunteering in the class, the coordinator called me over and said, "Our boss is here and she wants to talk to you."

I started to stress out about all the things I could have done wrong, but to my surprise I did not get a lecture. The director of special ed for the district told me that they were creating a paraeducator position in the preschool classroom and asked if I would do an interview. 

So long story short, I have been hired to work as a para in a Deaf and Hard of Hearing preschool class. I get to grow my ASL skills, work with Deaf kids, and play with preschoolers all day long. Best of all I get to work with a teacher who shares my faith and my values. It is literally a dream come true and I am overwhelmed by God's goodness!

Some of the kids in my class :)

In looking back over this whole process, I can see the hand of God so clearly. He closed the doors for all those other jobs because he had this one waiting for me, and this job did not exist when I started my job hunt. God closed the doors of all those other volunteer opportunities because he wanted me in this school so I could get the interview for this job. If they had not known me and I had simply applied for the job, I probably would not have been considered. So many other elements had to fall into place, but have not the space nor the time to tell them all. 

And to think of how I doubted God's provision and goodness in those waiting months. I thought maybe he wasn't paying attention, maybe he missed seeing my needs this time around. But through it all he was planning, working things out for my good and his glory. Thinking about it all brings me such joy and confidence in our Lord. I want to gather everyone I know and say, "Come! See what God has done!"

This is why I share these stories with you. I don't think very many read this, but my hope is that for someone, sometime, this story may be an encouragement. Hindsight is 20/20, and at the end of this journey it is easy to see what God was doing, but it is so much harder in the thick of it. 

If you are waiting on God today, let me encourage you with this: God is good and he is faithful. He sees you, and He is working in your situation today. The verse at the top of this post has been such an encouragement to me in its simplicity. 

"God, who has called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful."




1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this post, Abby! Truly, great is His faithfulness! Praising God with you!

    ReplyDelete