Friday, September 12, 2014

When God Says.... "Yes!"

Day by day I am in awe of the goodness and mercy of our God.
This was exemplified in a huge way through a situation our family just went through. 
Wednesday of last week, my family got a phone call to tell us that our aunt had experienced a heart attack or stroke, that she was unconscious, and was given a 10% chance for survival. By the end of the day, that chance had dropped to 5%. 

For us, it was a huge shock. She was only 10 years older than my mom. She was living a good life, but unfortunately, one without the joy of Christ. We all prayed for their family, but we never dreamed something like this would happen so soon. 

Thursday morning, as I was about to leave the house for work, I heard my mom talking on the phone with my grandma. From what I could gather from the conversation, my aunt had died. I left the house with a heavy heart, and throughout my work I cried out to God. I was hit hard with the fleetingness of life, the fact that someone could be gone in an instant, without another chance to turn from their sin and fall on God's grace. 45 minutes into my shift, I was rotated off and went to check my phone, when I noticed a missed call from my mom. I called her back, and she filled me in on the situation. 

My aunt was not yet gone, as I had thought. However, the doctors had proclaimed her brain-dead, and they were going to take her off of life support that day. My mom thought she was delivering bad news, but to me this was good. While there is life, there is hope. During the rest of my work shift and the rest of my day I prayed with everything within me. I went to battle for the life of my aunt. 

Falling before the presence of God Almighty, I begged him to let her have another chance, to give her the opportunity to reject her sin and turn to her Savior. I asked him to cover her with his protection, and to tell Satan, "You can't have this one." 

In these situations, sometimes God will answer "no." Sometimes he will ask us to wait, but this time he responded with a resounding, "Yes!" Less than a day later, my aunt had woken up. The same doctors who said she wouldn't survive now believed she would live. She is now off life support, can communicate verbally, and is able to eat soft foods. Every day she remembers more and more, and I am in awe of the grace of our God. He is so good, and he loves each and every one of us in ways far greater than we can imagine.

This whole situation has revealed to me not only God's grace, but also the urgency that we should all have when it comes to sharing his love with the world. Only God knows how many days each one of us will have. I realize now that while my unbelieving friend, family member, or coworker may seem to have plenty of time to repent and be saved, this may not be the case. God's call to go and make disciples of all nations is for today, not for some far off time in the future. Today, I ask you to join me today in two things:
First, please pray for my aunt, that she will be restored to full health, and that through this situation God would convict her and draw her to himself.
Second, would you truly look around yourself today? This world is full of sad, hurting people who desperately need the light of Christ. Be that light today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment