Wednesday, September 10, 2014

When God Says.... "Do It"

* I am starting a new series titled "When God Says..." so expect to see more posts with this theme in the future!

Hey everyone! I am so excited to get going in this new series. God has been speaking to me a lot lately, and I can't wait to share it with you.

If you haven't known me very long, you might not know that I have always had long hair. Seriously. Okay, I cut my hair when I was thirteen, but since then, I have had it very, very long. It has sort of become a defining characteristic with me. I learned to do many cool braids, and some of my friends started calling me Rapunzel after Tangled came out.

Exhibit A: Last fall -

Okay, so you get the picture. Now, here is where the problem came in. I started to really like my hair. Too much. I spent much time on it everyday (braiding takes a very long time), and was planning even on making a Rapunzel outfit for Halloween to complete "my look." For a while, I had considered donating my hair to Locks of Love, but I eventually decided against that because, honestly, I liked m hair.

Then God started speaking to me. He convicted me of my selfishness and my vanity and showed me that this was something he wanted me to do to serve him. He told me that I needed to trust him to handle the results (I was scared that I would hate a short haircut), that I needed to let go of my pride and desire for attention, and that I needed to give up my wants to help someone in need. Once he touched my heart with all of this, I knew that I had to go forward and cut my hair.

I know this is a small issue, but for me it was an instance of trusting God. I was on vacation when God convicted me, and my mom and I scheduled my appointment for the day we got home. As nervous as I was, I knew this was something that God had told me to do, and would be a blessing to someone else. If you are not familiar with Locks of Love, it is an organization that provides prosthetic hairpieces for children with permanent hair loss either free of charge, or on a sliding scale based on income and such. I would encourage you to check out their website.
Anyway, here is the before and after on my hair.


The amazing part is God's faithfulness. I was so nervous, but afterwards, I realize what a good decision this was. My hair now takes up so much less of my time and thoughts. Also, it serves as a reminder to me of what God has done and is doing in my life. 

So now I ask, what about you? What is that one thing in your life that God is asking you to give up to serve him better? He is good, and will work out the results even if you don't know what will happen. 
Praise the Lord. 

2 comments:

  1. This is such an amazing testimony. I too love long hair and have always had it myself for the better part of my life. I know other people who have gone down the same avenue as you. So I have always been careful with how much time I spend on my hair etc.
    You ave done such a wonderful thing! May your story of the Lord's conviction help others in the future to further the Kingdom through humbleness- the way our Father wants us to walk.

    Casie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cassie! I really appreciate the encouragement. God is so good— he is teaching me more every single day.

      Delete