Friday, September 19, 2014

Musings on Adulthood

Well, it happened! I turned 18 and so now I am officially a "grown-up." With that magical change from 11:59pm to 12am, I now am thrust into a world either filled with independence and freedom to do as I choose, or one filled with endless work, no fun, and no crazy friendships. At least, this is what my perspective on adulthood has switched back and forth between for the last few years.

When you are a little child, adulthood can seem so far off, and can look like it is something so much better than what you have as a kid. As a senior in high school, adulthood can look terrifying, with crushing responsibilities and the fear of losing friendships.

Lately, however, God has shown me that adulthood isn't that different after all. I guess it does change in some ways (I can vote now, yay!), but overall, the purpose of my life is still the same: to know God better and to bring him glory. He is the one who brings adventure and purpose to my life, not my friends, my school, my work, or anything else.

Now, this doesn't mean I am not nervous. I totally am! My life is changing in many ways, as I am doing online school, working my job, and volunteering at church in old and new ways. My friendships are shifting, and I am starting to realize that I can't depend on having classes with people or doing youth group activities to carry my friendships. I will have to work at them, strive to seek people out, so that those connections can be maintained.

God is so good, truly. One of my deepest fears was losing the crazy goofiness some of my friends and I have. I thought that growing up meant I had to be serious, and not sing out Phantom of the Opera music at midnight wearing sunglasses any more. I thought that some of my favorite things, like playing charades impersonating inanimate objects or having singing competitions to see who could be louder would be no more. I know now that these sort of things are not simply limited to a certain period of life, but rather are connected to an attitude of knowing when to be silly and when to be serious. Hey, last night at our scone booth we had a funeral/releasing ceremony for our scone booth pet— a crane fly. (Ask me about this one sometime, and I guarantee you will think we were all insane :)

As I step into the future, I am excited to see what God does. Today I looked through all the photos we have from this past year, and I realized how full my life really is. I can't wait to get into all the opportunities I have this year, and to tell you about them as they happen. One is really very amazing in particular, and I hope to be posting about it very soon!

Anyway, I am so blessed to have another year to serve my Savior, and I look forward to the day when I can be with Him at last. As for this first year of adulthood— bring it on!

1 comment:

  1. Good post, and Happy Birthday! Praying the Lord blesses you with a truly awesome year!

    ReplyDelete