Friday, February 14, 2014

You keep using that word...

... I do not think it means what you think it means.

And no, I do not mean the word "inconceivable." Rather, I am speaking of another word used quite frequently this time of year:

Single.


Doesn't it look so lonely out there by itself? Every year around the time of Valentine's Day, all the people around you suddenly attain new labels. Usually they fall into three categories: single, "in a relationship," or married.

At this time of year, girls (and I suppose perhaps boys too but I can't speak from personal experience :) start to become more aware of their "single" status and perhaps begin to bemoan their lack of a significant other. In fact, some have even started calling Valentine's Day "Singles Awareness Day" (S.A.D.) in a, well, sad attempt to boost their ever-lowering self esteem.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that "they're doing it wrong." Because this is my real point: I am not in a relationship or married, but I don't think I can call myself "single." Here's why:

If I lived on a deserted island in the middle of the Pacific ocean without a bird or rat to befriend me and without even a Wifi connection to reach my online buddies, then I could perhaps say, "I am single."

The truth is, that scenario does not describe my life at all!  I am constantly surrounded by a loving family and friends who care about me.

More than that, the God of the universe loves me more than anything I could imagine! Going back to our deserted island example, I believe that I could be on an island like that and still not be "single" or alone. Why? My God is with me everywhere I go.

As it says in Romans 8:38-39

"For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, or depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord."

That pretty much covers it. So today, if everyone around you is romantic and sappy and handing out roses, don't turn to S.A.D.. Instead, turn to God and let his love fill you and satisfy you. Because, honestly, if you are not satisfied with his love, no relationship will satisfy you either.

(Brownie points to whoever picked up on the first quote from The Princess Bride and the second quote from Blimey Cow :)


2 comments:

  1. Amen! Perfectly said!

    :) I got the brownie points! Loved that!

    Cassie
    p.s. Thanks for following our blog!

    ReplyDelete