Friday, February 28, 2014

Living in the Moment

Source

One day this week, God taught me a lesson through one simple mistake; I forgot my umbrella. Now to many of you, this may not seem like a big deal, but for me it was. I live in the Pacific Northwest, the area of the country where it rains about 90% of the time. I also attend a school where I must walk from building to building and out to my car which is usually parked far away in the north 40 :)

When I arrived at work and realized my mistake, I was frustrated with myself and started to complain inwardly as I walked across the parking lot with the drops falling on my head. 

But suddenly, I heard that still, small voice say, "Trust me."

In that moment, I looked up at the sky and instead of seeing an annoyance, I saw beauty and grace. As the raindrops ran down my face, I reveled in the fact that the God of the universe loves me. I stood there and marveled in the notion that my God is so big, he sends water falling down from the sky. 

Can we step back for a second and realize how amazing that concept is? When I was in second grade, I did a report on the water system and let me tell you, it is incredible!  To think that the water somehow falls down to the land and flows either above ground or below it into a lake or a stream and then is evaporated back into the sky. Then these water droplets create big fluffy white things that we call "clouds," and when they are at exactly the right place at exactly the right moment, these clouds turn back into water drops that fall onto our trees, our flowers, our crops. Our God is awesome! 

Later in the day, it just got better. When I was able to step out of myself and my worries, I saw the beauty of God and his creation all around me. Instead of hurrying from class to class concerned about when my next paper is due, I walked in the rain, singing praise to the God who was sending it to me. Because in that moment, I didn't care if the rain messed up my hair or ruined my makeup. I was walking in the presence of my Savior and nothing else mattered. Since that day, I haven't brought my umbrella to school. I don't know if I ever will again. Something so simple changed my entire outlook, and I want to keep it that way.

So today, I encourage you to find one thing that you could change or give up in order to live in the moment with God. He loves us immensely, and He only wants us to respond to his love. If you only take a moment to look, I can guarantee that you will see his mercy and love all around you.

 Let's praise him today.

No comments:

Post a Comment