Thursday, July 4, 2013

For His Glory

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
{1 Corinthians 10:13}

I can't remember exactly where, but a little while ago, I read a blog post from a girl who was struggling with the idea that she wasn't doing enough for God. She spoke about feeling that the things she was doing, however important, didn't have enough "God activities."


Do you know what I mean?  When I see my friends going on mission trips and entering into spiritual ministry, I wonder if my efforts are enough for God.  Am I doing the right things?  Should I be giving up my job, schoolwork, and career plans to enter into a field of ministry? 


But when I step back and take a look at my life, I realize the flaw in my thinking: 


I don't have to do 'enough,' because Jesus already did it all.  I don't have to worry if I'm doing enough to satisfy God, because He looks at Jesus's perfection and covers over my sin. *Big sigh of relief*


This blog post I read went on to share how the girl had found contentment and peace in her life by simply striving to do what the verse above says, to do everything for the glory of God.  Anything can be turned into an opportunity to serve God and others when we enter into it with the right mindset.

When I think about it this way, parts of my life that perhaps seemed frivolous or not about God can become an opportunity to show his love. 


Working on homework can becomes a way I can further my education in order to serve others later as an American Sign Language interpreter.


Teaching swim lessons is not just a job or a way to make money, but a way to invest in the lives of children and teach them useful skills.

Going to Bible Quizzing events becomes a way to review the Bible knowledge I have and a way to invest in the friendships I have there.


Playing dolls with my sister is not just a means of entertainment, but also a way to show her that I love her and care about her by spending time with her. 


And because I am trying to do everything for the glory of God, I will try my hardest to be kind, calm, and not paranoid about the fireworks today, even though they scare me terribly.  

Happy Fourth of July Everybody! 


And when you hand that four-year-old a sparkler (more commonly known as a "stick of fire"), please keep an eye on them so they don't set their sister's jacket on fire (personal experience :).

No comments:

Post a Comment