Friday, June 28, 2013

I am Sixteen Going on Seventeen...

If you're anything like me, these words bring to mind one of the greatest musicals of all time, the Sound of Music.  I remember watching this movie when I was a little girl, seeing Liesel in her beautiful dresses, and secretly wishing for a dress like those.

Well, when I saw that this pattern company had started making patterns for Liesel dresses, I was excited  to get started.

The last two years for my homeschool formals, I have made my own replicas of two of Liesel's dresses, and I realized that I have never properly validated them by sharing them here on my blog *gasp*.

The first one I made was a replica of this dress:


using this pattern.

I decided to use a dark blue chiffon, so it is not quite as easily identifiable as I would like, but I still think it turned out nice. This was for the formal of 2012, when I was 15. 



This pattern was fairly easy to use, but chiffon is very difficult to work with, so I would suggest making a mock up first, as the pattern says. 

The second dress I made was a replica of this dress:

I was originally going to make this one out of purple fabric, but the only color my fabric store had was very light and "easter egg" color, so I decided to use a teal color. This was for the formal of 2013, this last spring. 




On the neckline of this dress, I used a wider bias tape than the pattern called for, because the small one was difficult to work with and looked kind of messy. Also, the organza was pretty scratchy to wear at a dance, so next time I would probably use chiffon. Other than that, the pattern was great!

There you have it!  My belated formal dress posting/pattern review. Hope you enjoyed it :)

2 comments:

  1. wow! I'm so impressed! You have a gift and you're using it. :)

    www.tamingrapunzel.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first dress! It's simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete