Friday, April 26, 2013

Partying — God Style


Last Saturday, my mom, my sisters and I headed off to Seattle for a day. We had a college fair in the morning, shopped in the afternoon, and then attended the Chris Tomlin Concert at the Key Arena.

It was an amazing experience.  I had only ever been to two concerts before this, and they just can't compare. The last time I went to a concert was about a year ago.  It was fun, but I was also coming right off a media fast at a Christian camp, so screaming and jumping, even to Christian songs, just didn't feel right to me.  This concert, however, was totally different. It was truly a night of worship.  How many times do you go to a concert and the artist would rather be quiet and let the crowd sing?  That was something I had never seen before.

I love worship at my church, but there is something awe-inspiring about singing praises to GOd with ten thousand people.  Even Chris Tomlin himself was amazed by the power and beauty of it. So many times during the night, he stepped back and gazed around the room at the thousands of people singing God's praises with one clear voice.

And on top of that, we got to hear Louie Giglio speak!  Ever since I saw his talk from the How Great is Our God tour, I have loved his teaching. (Go here to see the video. It does take awhile, but the time spent watching that video will be time invested in understanding a little how great our God truly is.) In this video he even talks about laminin, which.... never mind I can't explain it as well as he can. You'll just have to watch the video to find out. But wow, God is so amazing.

Anyway, Louie Giglio spoke on how our God is a God of celebration and rejoicing.  He retold and spoke on the three stories about lost things in Luke 15.  They are: the story of the lost coin, the story of the lost sheep, and the story of the lost son.  What he pointed out was that all three stories are not truly about the lost things, but about the finder of all lost things.  He focused on an interesting point. Every single story spoke about celebration, about a party.  It says in Luke 15:10, "...there is rejoicing in the presence of angels over one sinner who repents." If our God loves to celebrate and rejoice when sinners turn to him, so should we.  Several people there accepted Christ into their lives, and we all had the biggest party on earth for them, but I'm sure the angel's party was far, far greater.

The way I described that night was that it was probably the closest thing you can find on earth to the party the angels have up in heaven.

In the words of a counselor from a camp last year, "Party 'cause of Jesus, party 'cause of Jesus, party 'cause of Jesus and the party don't stop!"


1 comment:

  1. Haha, I love that quote at the end... I remember when he said that! :)

    ReplyDelete