Friday, March 29, 2013

His will, His way

This lovely photo courtesy of my Mama
As you may have guessed from the photo above, I was at my state capitol this week as a page.  My sister and I with 15 other teens delivered many messages, documents, and supplies, worked on the house floor, helped in the gift shop, etc. It was a really good experience with a great group of kids, but to my knowledge, my sister and I were the only Christians there.  This led to some interesting experiences, but also opportunities to show the love of God in a tangible way.

Recently, at my church I attended a God Space Workshop where I learned about witnessing to others in a loving way that doesn't try to force them into a decision they're not ready for. One aspect of the book was about "listening your way into spiritual conversations."
I had a good conversation with a guy who seemed like he had been, as my sister put it, "burned" by Christians before.  I heard him say that he thought that religion shouldn't be spoken of in group settings. So later, I had the opportunity to talk to him and ask him how he came to that opinion. There was no gospel story or "conversion," but I hope that through that conversation the Holy Spirit perhaps opened his eyes a little to God's love.

Because that's really what it is all about. The essence of Christianity is that the God of the universe loved us, His sinful people, enough to give up everything He had and suffer the ultimate punishment for us.  That is how much He wants us to be with Him.
I love the verse that says:
"By this we know love, that Jesus laid down his life for us." (1 John 3:16) There is really no other way to define it.  How can love get stronger than that?  I want everything that I am to follow His will and His path.  If I seem different on the outside, it is because an amazing change has taken place in my heart. Since I have surrendered my life to Jesus, I am no longer mine. I am HIS.

God threw me a curveball today. Things didn't turn out the way I had anticipated.  But I know that He has a reason for where I am today. His plans are far better than anything I can imagine.

But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Matthew 6:33

No comments:

Post a Comment