Saturday, January 12, 2013

Are you mourning?

I heard it, but I didn't understand it.  I memorized it, but I didn't comprehend the true meaning of it.

In short, the speaker at my youth group spoke on Matthew 5:4 and it totally changed my thinking.

Matthew 5:4
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.

That is the seemingly simple message of this verse.  When I studied it, I thought I understood what it meant.  Okay, so people who are mourning someone or something they have lost don't need to worry, because God will comfort them. In general, I thought it was a good verse for people going through a rough time but didn't really feel that it applied to my life right now.

What the speaker said allowed me to se this verse in a whole new light.  He said that Jesus was not talking about mourning as we normally think of it, but rather mourning over sin. Wow!  This one hit me big time.  I need to be continually mourning over my sin.

But this doesn't mean that I should be down in the dumps all the time.  We also learned the difference between grief and mourning.  Grief can come before or after a tragedy, and usually includes shock, pain, anger, loneliness, etc.  In contrast, mourning is an acceptance of the finality of something.  We have to come to the realization that it's over.  Sin has no hold over us anymore if we just tap into the power of our Lord Jesus Christ.  So much of what we learned was so good to hear.   Here are a few highlights from the talk.

The appropriate reaction to sin is mourning, and the appropriate demonstration of mourning is repentance.  

To understand how mourning over sin works, you must have a deep doctrine of sin and a high doctrine of joy. 

Deep doctrine of sin = Seeing sin as God sees it.

Everything that does not proceed from faith is sin. 

Mourning leads to comfort, which leads to paying closer attention to God's word, which leads to seeing more of the Kingdom of God.  

What else is there to say?  Our God is an Awesome God.

No comments:

Post a Comment