Monday, August 20, 2012

Of teeth and sin.


Today I have a confession to make.  When I was little I had a habit.  No, maybe a bad habit. No, maybe a really bad habit.

I would forget to brush my teeth.  Yeah, I know. But as a little girl I just didn't remember.  I would forget until my mom told me I needed to.  Thankfully, I don't have that habit anymore, because I started to notice.  I noticed that when I forgot, my teeth didn't feel clean, and I wanted to brush my teeth as soon as I could.  I hate having teeth that aren't clean.  


My Youth Pastor was speaking on James once, and he talked about how we are supposed to hate sin, but love the sinner. I realized that sin should be like dirty teeth. I should hate the feeling of it.  When I speak to someone with a disrespectful tone, my first response should be to apologize to the person right away.  


Have you ever noticed that it is much easier to hate other people's sin than to hate our own.  It is easy to look at my brother's rude attitude and say that I hate sin, but do I feel the same way about the pride that is continually creeping into my own heart?  

Loving the sinner is also hard.  When someone is being unkind to me, I can't love them on my own strength. I have to use God's strength.  I remember a time when a person did something mean simply to get a reaction out of me.  I wanted to give them a piece of my mind, but I could hear the Holy Spirit inside me telling me to turn the other cheek.   Because I did not strike back in anger, they stopped being mean and were kind to me for the rest of the trip.

Hate the sin and the love the sinner? Seems like an impossible command.  But we can remember that what is impossible with man is possible with God.


No comments:

Post a Comment