Thursday, August 9, 2012

Hearts

Riches I heed not nor man's empty praise
Thou mine inheritance now and always
Thou and thou only first in my heart
High King of heaven, my treasure thou art

For those of you who don't know, this is the third verse to Be Thou my Vision. We sang this song at family camp, and this verse in particular touched me, especially the third line.  

First in my heart. Always. No ifs, ands, or buts.  He needs to be first.

At first, this might seem kind of easy.  I mean, we already accepted Jesus into our hearts, so obviously He is first.  I have learned that keeping God first is not a one time decision.  It is daily.  Every single morning, I have to purpose to put God first in everything I do.  I have to purpose to listen to His voice.  Otherwise, it is very easy for other things to slip in unnoticed.  

The hardest part is that the things that slip in are not always bad things.  I can get distracted by schoolwork, fellowship with believers, or even ministry.  The problem is when those things become more important than my relationship with God.  I have to fight against this constantly.

What's cool though, is that God knows how easily we get distracted.  He says to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength." If it were easy to stay focused on God, why would strength be in there?  God is telling us that we need to constantly be redirected our focus and strength to building a relationship with Him.  

I have been closer to God this summer than I ever have before.  It was an amazing thing last week when I realized that I am more comfortable talking to God than anyone else.  It is incredible to realize that I can call on the Creator of the universe at any time and He is ready to listen.  

But it wasn't easy.  I learned some hard lessons about trust and obedience.  At several times, I asked God why.  I told Him that I didn't understand what was happening.  Because of the lessons I learned, I know that I can trust Him, and that He is more than enough for me.  This last week, there was a situation where I had to let go and trust God.  I still don't know what will happen, but I know that my Heavenly Father loves me and that He is in control.  

In the words of another famous hymn:
Here's my heart, Lord.  Take and seal it. Seal it for thy courts above.

He has my heart.  I want it to stay that way

No comments:

Post a Comment