Friday, March 2, 2012

What percent are you?

Now to the two people who still read my blog, I want to apologize for not having blogged in almost three months.  I also want to tell you why.


If you have read the posts on my blog, you will hopefully see that I prefer to write about who God is and what he has done in my life.  For the last few months, I haven't written because, I haven't been feeling him.  I was still reading my Bible and doing the things I am supposed to do, but I didn't feel his hand on me.  I didn't feel close to Him.


That changed this week.


This last week, I attended an organization called TeenPact at the state capitol. If you click on the word it will take you to the website.  TeenPact is and incredible organization that teaches students about government while challenging them to know God and pursue him better.  I was really excited, as this was my third year attending.  We had awesome worship and our guest speaker gave some really good talks on David and how to have a heart like his. One the last night at the camp, our guest speaker gave an convicting talk on "Subtle Substitutes for Seeking God" We went over different things that can seem like seeking God, but really aren't.  At the end, he had a girl from my cabin who had accepted Christ earlier in the week come up and give her testimony.  Her life was changed the minute she gave her life to Christ.  We could all see it in her, and she communicated this in a powerful way to the whole group.  After she spoke, our guest speaker had one of the staff sing, and asked any one who wanted to become a Christian to stand up during the song.  He also said that if anyone wanted to give their whole self to Jesus, to make him our "Personal Priority Relationship" to stand up as well.


All I can say is that it was incredible.  We had 10 people accept Christ for the very first time, and almost all the rest of us re-dedicated our lives to Christ.  I was one of those.  You could feel the presence of God in the room.  We broke into groups and were weeping and praying and pouring our hearts out to God.  The worship team kept singing, and the songs were perfect.  They fit the cry of all our hearts, and we all sang together, lifting up our hearts to God.  We all committed to give God 100% of our lives and hearts.  Not 95%, not 98%, not 99.9%, but 100%.  Through coming together in our love for God, we were instantly a family.  People were hugging each other and crying together.  It was what the body of Christ should be.  


Obviously, that was a huge spiritual and emotional moment for everyone involved.  But something like that doesn't have to happen for you to give yourself 100% to God.  So I ask you, what percent are you?  I have got to tell you, I have lived at 95% for quite a while.  It doesn't work.  If you are 95% God's, 5% of you belongs to something else.  Nothing can fulfill you like God can.  No one can satisfy you like he can.  


One thing our guest speaker said really hit me hard.  He said, "Sometimes it is the good things that keep us from God's best things."  Wow.  That is so true.  Things like wanting to do well in school, thinking about how I can help my friends, and even wanting to do well at Bible Quizzing can distract me from my focus.  Serving God is not the same as seeking him.  


Lately, I have felt so full of joy and peace.  This morning while unpacking, I listened to a worship CD and poured out my heart to him all over again.  He IS present.  We just have to seek him.  I love one thing my pastor said, "God can never be more than an arm's length away." He doesn't walk away from us, rather, we push him back.


When we were nearing the end of what I call "The Teenpact Revival," someone would shout out, "God is so awesome!"  And we would respond with shouts and cries of joy. 


Why shouldn't we?  Yes, life is hard.  I have experienced just a taste of it.  But we serve a faithful God!  He never lets go, he never fails, he never stops!  He is always there!  Why shouldn't we be filled with hope and joy?  One song that I love has a chorus that reads as follows,


Your love never fails
It never gives up
It never runs out on me



That is our promise, along with "I will never leave you nor forsake you."  


So this is my story.  I want my life to be changed from now on.  I want to be wholly surrendered to God in everything.  


What about you?


Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.
Ephesians 3:20-21



1 comment:

  1. I loved this miss! I am always so encouraged by what God is doing in your life :) love you girl!

    ReplyDelete