Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Have Enough




I remember when we first brought Sunshine and Little Buddy home to America.  Although they did not speak much English, one of the first phrases we taught them was "I have enough." Coming from a country where they never had enough, they learned that it is possible to have enough food, clothes, toys, etc.

I believe this is something we all struggle with.  In America, we are infatuated with "getting more." There is always a bigger TV or that new pair of shoes or a tasty kind of candy.  And what about activities?  Why is it that we cannot simply be content? It says in Philipians 4:11b-13,

"I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Do you think you have learned the secret of being content?  If you were stripped of everything but your relationship with God, would he be enough?

For me, I don't struggle with wanting things,  per say, but I wish for talents or looks or friendships I don't have.  God has been revealing to me lately that HE is all I need.  I need to trust him with everything in my life, and when I do, I will truly have enough.  I believe trust and contentment go hand in hand.  If we know that everything will turn out alright, it is easier to be content.  Why is it then that although God gives us that very promise, we do not truly trust Him.   When you think about it, discontent is trying to make ourselves better without the help of God.  Often, when someone purchases a new item or wants a different talent, they want to make themselves better.  We think that some new shoes can make you look cooler.  We think that if we had a better voice, we could obtain that coveted solo in the choir.  Or if we looked prettier, we could be a part of that popular group.

All these assumptions demonstrate a lack of trust in God, and implication that he didn't make us good enough.   What we need to remember is that God doesn't make mistakes!  He made you PERFECT!
You are just right in his eyes!

'Beautiful' by Mercy Me says this in its chorus,

You're beautiful
You're beautiful
You were made for so much more than all of this
You're beautiful
You're beautiful
You are treasured, You are sacred, You are his
You're beautiful

This really is true.  Today, your Savior is asking you to come to Him and trust him.  Only then will you be able to say, "I have enough."

In His name,
See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment