Thursday, September 30, 2010

Take Him at His Word

Today I was studying a portion of John for Bible Quizzing practice tonight, and this part really spoke to me.

John 4:46-53

Once more he visited Cana in Galilee, where he had turned the water into wine.  And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernum.  When this man heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea, he went to him and begged him to come and heal his son, who was close to death.

"Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonders," Jesus told him, "you will never believe."

The royal official said, "Sir, come down before my child dies."

Jesus replied, "You may go.  Your son will live."  The man took Jesus at his word and departed.  While he was still on the way, his servants met him with the news that his boy was living.

When he inquired as to the time when his son got better, they said to him, "The fever left him yesterday at the seventh hour." Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, "Your son will live." So he and all his household believed.


The phrase that really hit me was that the official took Jesus at his word.  Would I have been able to do that if I were him, and that child, mine?  I don't know that I would.  I mean, this is a person who has no reason whatsoever to trust Jesus.  He had heard about him for sure, yet he had no personal background to base his trust on.  But with simple, child-like faith, he took Jesus at his word.  How many times do we, who have the Bible and a personal relationship with God, not trust him.  I read the Bible, and read of his promises, I know them, I memorize them, and yet do I trust him?  Most times I think I do, but the truth is, I really don't.  I know that he loves me and thinks I'm beautiful, and yet I am sometimes jealous of girls who I think are prettier.  I know that he will meet my needs, but I can't trust him to provide the funds for a mission trip.  My faith is truly small.

God, in my life today, I ask you to help me take you at your word.  Help me to trust you with my life, my resources, my talents, everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment